Saturday, February 2, 2013

Colorful Tropics Quilt

I have been very busy getting ready for the Quilting on the Beach retreat that officially begins today.  My classes are full and I may have an extra class for Hawaiian applique.  I am so priveleged to be able to share the art of Hawaiian quilting with so many. 

But along with the retreat I have completed a new quilt pattern called Colorful Tropics.  It is a sampler quilt that I made with wonderful fabrics from Island Batik in glorious colors.  This project was like writing a book(over 50 pages)  and I am so grateful to my friend Louise for all her help in editing.  Quilt Passions is going to use the pattern as a block of the month that starts this coming week.   During the eleven months I will have a demo every month to show the block and any little tricks that go with its construction.   Just a little applique and for those who don't do hand applique, shhhh-I fused it.  But it would look fabulous done in hand applique.  So here it is----                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
The center is a mariner's compass that I drew and the other blocks are those that have been around for awhile.  They all have a little challenge to them but I have, hopefully, written instructions to make them easier for everyone.   This is not a sampler for a beginner but I think that an advanced beginner who can read and follow a pattern could do it. The applique is of the bird of paradise that grows so easily here in Hawaii.  They really are one of my favorites and were perfect to use for my color choice in the fabrics.  This was a fun quilt to design and put together but who couldn't have fun working with such hot, fun, colorful fabrics?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a gorgeous quilt pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love that you put together a quilt that looks super complex but no problem for someone who's done a little quilting. Here's hoping tons of people hop on board!

    ReplyDelete